Saturday, September 1, 2007

Packaging

I have just succeeded in buying a box of tissues. This may seem a trivial achievement to the rest of you, but it often takes me weeks. I go into store after store and am so put off by the floral patterns and nasty shades of pastel that I leave empty-handed.

Why is tissue packaging so uniformly bad? A box of tissues has to become part of my furnishings for several weeks. Shouldn't I be able to get one in a colour that I like? If I was in Japan and said this, someone would rush to buy or make me a tissue box cover. It would almost certainly come with frills and lace, however, and would lose the one advantage that the bare box has - that I can throw it away guilt-free once it is empty.

I would like solid blocks of primary colours, I think, or boxes pretending to be other things: swiss cheese, an apartment building, a green felt hill with fuzzy sheep you could move around.

No comments: