Tuesday, January 1, 2008

And the beginning.

Happy New Year, everyone. Happy New Year, me. Who wants to be the first person I talk to this year? I've got through 12 hours and 40 minutes of it so far without seeing or speaking to anyone. I was supposed to be meeting up with friends last night, but it didn't work out. Instead I toasted myself in Stump Jump and then in some violet liqueur, and took a brief look out from my balcony at the city centre fireworks.

The violet liqueur lives up to my expectations - a rather delicate drink, not too overpoweringly sweet, and a very beautiful light grey-purple in the glass (as opposed to the Austrian version I didn't buy, which was an alarmingly deep purple). It's from a France, under the label G. Miclo (Lapoutroie).

So, a new year. Well, I'm sure it's going to be better than the last one. This time last year I was suffering from a very nasty migraine after spending the previous day trying to finish a paper rewrite that had to be submitted by December 31st. It seemed like a portent of a bad year to come, and now it's finished I'd say that all in all I really wasn't too impressed by it. I'm going to work to make this one worthwhile.

The only complaint I have about today is that, as usual, my apartment is unbelievably hot. I've just been cleaning my humidifier so that I can at least get it a little less dry - sitting at home yesterday I could feel myself slowly shrivelling up as all of that East Coast moisture got baked out of me. When I got back most of my posters had fallen off the walls, as I expected (they all feel oddly crispy, too), but I've just found a better illustration of the interior atmosphere - my beautiful sushi oke, the wooden tub for vinegaring the sushi rice which arrived with all of my other things a few weeks ago, has shrunk so much while I was away that both of its copper bands have fallen off.

No comments: