Thursday, June 26, 2008

City of No Sidewalks

Or Place of No Pavements, if you're British.

I arrived in Kyoto yesterday evening. Fell into bed around 6 p.m. and was awake and ready for coffee and a new day at 1:30 a.m. Right now I'm trying to stave off a second such night. If I can just stay awake for another hour or so, maybe...

I spent much of the day struggling with my conference paper, as usual (no - even more than usual) until this evening I reached the point of despair and cut and pasted a large section of my Ph.D. thesis, changing it absolutely minimally. Why didn't I do that days ago? Then I went out for a walk in the direction of Higashiyama, and I was reminded of the problems of having a city of streets so narrow that only one car can pass along them, and no sidewalks. It's a much more risky business walking around if you are unsteady with jet-lag.

No comments: