Thursday, July 16, 2009

Reading signs


From when I first started driving in the U.S., I noticed that there is a much greater reliance on words for road signs than on the kinds of symbols you'd see in Britain, Europe or - I suspect - pretty much anywhere else. For instance, "right lane must turn right" is usually indicated by a sign that reads "right lane must turn right," and if like me you have a tendency to confuse right and left when they are presented in words rather than in symbols that relate directly to your symmetrical existence, you often find yourself embarking on little adventures on streets you'd never intended to visit. Things get even more confusing, however, when words get combined with symbols. The above is my favourite, a sign on a road passing through the middle of my university. Whenever I pass it, I get so distracted by trying to decode it that I run the risk of ploughing through the crowd of students it is trying to warn me to avoid.

No comments: