Sunday, October 14, 2012

Feed a cold, starve a fever.

I'm sitting at home on this rainy Sunday using the faint cold I picked up at work as an excuse to feel sorry for myself and sit around and eat pastries and cheese and crisps and drink tea. I've been really lucky in the last few years to hardly ever catch a cold - but my new job is a hotbed of germ activity, and it's surprising it's taken me two and a half months to catch anything. I work in an enormous open room like field (but without any fresh air), with I suppose somewhere between 60 and 80 people. To get in and out there are two heavy security doors that can only be opened by use of the door handles; then there are the buttons on the lifts and time-tracking machines, and so on - all shared by my roomful of people and many, many more (the company covers several floors). On top of that, we have lots of shared equipment. If bird flu or SARS or ebola hits Frankfurt, we'll be the first to go.

As I was indulging myself in unhealthy food just now, I remembered the saying, "Feed a cold, starve a fever." When I was young I thought it was hard to remember whether it was that or "Starve a cold, feed a fever" - nor did I really know what it meant. I thought it meant that if you ate lots when you had a cold, you wouldn't get a fever (because, mysteriously, fevers would feed off you if you didn't feed your cold). I also didn't understand "No news is good news," taking it to mean that all news was bad. Well, these weren't the kinds of things I heard in my family - they were the kinds of things I read in books, so there was no-one to pick up on my mistakes or clarify. I still quite like "All news is bad" as a saying, though.

No comments: